Monday, September 12, 2011

Even Better than I Imagined

Greetings from Turkana Basin!

It’s our fourth day in Kenya and so far it’s been amazing. The travel from Nairobi to Turkana Basin has to be one of the coolest things I have experienced. We went on a small aircraft that seated about only fifteen people and though every movement felt like turbulence, it was thrilling. Once we got on the ground warm air wafted onto our faces and I just couldn’t help but smile knowing it was soon to be winter back in New York.

When our car pulled into the Turkana Basin Institute (TBI), Dr. Leakey was waiting for us and at that moment I knew this experience was going to be something special and not to be taken granted. For the first two days we were instructed to do nothing but eat, drink and rest, and that confused me because I felt like I was in a resort instead of a study abroad program, but it was wonderful to be able to lie down horizontally after spending many hours on planes.

Here are some pictures of our journey so far, enjoy :)



At JFK before we left, nervous yet excited.


At Nairobi checking into our hotel, exhausted.


Plane to TBI!


Super excited to reach our final destination.









The breathtaking view from our cafeteria.


Most of us have abandoned our bedrooms to sleep on the breezy verandas.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment