Tuesday, September 6, 2011

TWO MORE DAYS!

Hi all! Welcome to the Turkana Basin study abroad blog! I can’t believe I’m doing this or saying this but in approximately two days I will be boarding a plane from JFK to Kenya for two and a half months! I don't know about you but summer sure went by fast for me and next thing I know I am here worrying if I have enough socks for Kenya hah. Before I go though, I thought I should drop by and write an entry to tell you guys little bit about the process of applying to study aboard (also I really need a break from packing.) I know for sure that before I applied I had TONS of questions, so in case there is anyone out there reading this and is considering study abroad, I hope this is somewhat helpful. But first, let me introduce myself.

My name is Hui (I know it says Benjamin on the right side but it should be updated any day now...) and this is my fifth year at Stony Brook University (that makes me a super senior). I am an Anthropology major and an international studies minor, and I love learning about different cultures and how humans came to be and got to be where we are. I find human prehistory fascinating and somehow learning about it in class just wasn't enough, which is why I am going on this program. I want to study human prehistory first hand in a place rich in fossil records and Turkana Basin is the place to be. Also interesting is that the Turkana Basin Institute is located in the middle of nowhere which can be scary or exciting depending on how you feel, but for anyone interested in studying human evolution like me, the Turkana Basin is an open textbook... but thankfully a much more interactive and exciting one.

Anyways, here is a map showing where the Turkana Basin is courtesy of Google Maps, except the location is so remote that even Google couldn't zone it on it hence the DIY mark I made:

Now if you are thinking about applying to study abroad and specifically to Kenya, please feel free to ask me any questions. I know studying abroad sounds like an exciting thing to do but I know it can also seem a bit mysterious if you haven't done it before. By the way, this is my second time studying abroad so trust me when I say apply early because there is a lot of paper work that needs to be done before going anywhere. These things include: filling out your application (which can now be done online), getting recommendations from your professors, going to your doctor’s to get your medical forms filled out, getting travel vaccinations and medications if your destination requires them, applying for financial aid if you need it, getting your visa, booking your flight, paying all your fees before you go, registering for classes, making copies/scanning your passports and other important documents, making sure you have signed all your paperwork, and finally buying any special things you may need for your trip.

Now I know this sounds like a lot, but that is why I recommend applying early that way you can do them without feeling overwhelmed, but once it is done you will be so glad you did!

Speaking of preparations, I better go finish packing! Will update once again when I'm in Kenya!

Notice how I have duct tape in my suitcase? What's it for? I don't know, but I'll let you know once I find it out.

3 comments:

  1. So jealous, I would love to be back at TBI! Send everyone my greetings! -Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hui, I was at my Study Abroad Center of Baruch a few days ago and realized how much I want to study abroad. The deadline is Oct. 8th for me. I'm gonna go apply right now and see what happens. =)

    ReplyDelete